Friday, August 08, 2014

Watermelon Pickles

Yes, really. Pickled watermelon rind is my new favorite. Since fruit is so expensive in Japan, I don't want to let any of it go to waste! 


This is a simple, summery Japanese recipe which I found in きょうの料理 (kyou no ryouri, meaning "today's cooking"), my favorite cooking magazine. I wanted to share it in English. They're a little sweet, a little salty, very refreshing... and pretty, too! Not to mention, the ingredients can be found anywhere.


Ingredients:
Watermelon rind
Salt: 2% of the weight of the watermelon rind

Instructions:
1. Cut the rind off the watermelon, leaving a bit of the red part. Using a knife or vegetable peeler, peel off the tough outer (dark green) skin.
2. Cut the watermelon rind into small pieces, about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide.
3. Put the watermelon rind and salt in a ziplock bag, and mix it around a bit by squishing the bag with your hands.
4. Wait at least 30 minutes, then enjoy!


These pickles are a great snack on their own, or a side dish for a meal. However, the magazine includes a recipe for marinated watermelon rind pickles and a soup with pork and pickles. I'll probably try those too!

(Sorry for the lack of posts lately; my computer is in the shop, and I'm typing with my thumb on my iPod...)

No comments: