Monday, May 11, 2015

Date Pudding recipe

Happy Mother's Day! Cooking is one of my favorite ways to honor the legacy that my grandmothers and my mom have given me, so let's celebrate with a recipe.

Last night we had friends over for dinner. We had feijoada and the works and my grandmother's date pudding for dessert. Recently I discovered that I had forgotten about the Costco-sized carton of dates I bought a while ago, and a bag of black beans I had been saving for a special occasion. With 7 weeks left in this house, now is the time to use up all those hoarded "special occasion" foods.

When I discovered the dates in the pantry cupboard, I emailed my mom for recipes, and she sent me a scan of my grandmother's carefully handwritten recipe card. I ended up typing it out to make note of a few changes and clarifications, so why not post it here?


Date Pudding

(This 9x13 pan was too big. I would definitely suggest a smaller size.)
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C)

Put in baking pan (around 8 or 9 inches square):
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 ½ cups hot water
  • Butter (about 3 tablespoons) cut into small chunks
Stir to melt sugar and butter.

In a bowl, mix:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped dates
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
Make a well in the center and add:
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix until smooth. Spoon batter into sugar-water-butter mix.

Bake 45 minutes-1 hour, until the pudding is set (shake it a bit, and make sure it doesn’t jiggle).

Here's the original recipe. Note that the amount of sugar has been reduced (by my mom). I reduced it again. It's still very sweet.



In case you are interested, here's pictures of last night's dinner:

With Kyoko and Tsubasa
Feijoada, farofa, Brazilian rice, vinaigrette, greens with garlic

No comments: