Thursday, June 13, 2013

Friday blog posts, and Shiawase no pan

Today’s coffee(s): Kona blend, Peru (organic)

I’ve decided that I need to be more intentional about reflecting on our experiences. I find that if I don’t take some time to reflect on things, I tend not to remember them so well. For me, writing or talking to friends is the best way to process what I’m thinking. So, here we go. Friday morning posts from the local coffee shop, start!

Last Sunday we rented a movie called しあわせのパン (shiawase no pan—the bread of happiness). I wanted to watch it because of the gorgeous bread on the movie poster… and because it takes place in Hokkaido. I love Hokkaido. In the movie, a couple start a café and bakery. The movie tells three stories of customers at the café who find happiness and release from their troubles through food and fellowship. I don’t want to give away too much of the plot, but the three stories paint a beautiful picture (perhaps unintentionally) of various aspects of communion: fellowship, love, reconciliation, and life. I would love to watch this movie with friends, preferably after a good meal, and talk about the meaning of communion and the cross.

There was a loaf of bread like this one (which I made) on the movie poster. Keith kindly told me that he thought my bread looked better. :) Not sure if I agree, but he's very nice, isn't he?
 Actually, this movie isn’t available in English, so I don’t think any of my English speaking friends will be watching this anyway… so I guess I can feel free to “spoil” the plot. Japanese speaking friends, you really should watch this movie, so spoiler alert! You have been warned… :)

The scene that struck me the most was part of the story of an elderly couple who lost everything in “the earthquake” (I assume it was the March 2011 Tohoku quake, since this movie came out in 2012), and the wife was dying. The two attempt to leave the café in the middle of a snow storm to commit suicide together. The café owners stop them from leaving and somewhat forcibly bring them back into the café for a (gorgeous) meal. The wife, who professes to dislike bread, smells the fresh-baked bread and begins to eat it. Her husband then eats the bread with her as if they have been given the gift of life. Yes! The cross is the gift of life for all who will receive it. I want to watch this movie again and again and reflect on the goodness of God. Jesus is my bread of happiness! My explanation doesn't even begin to do justice to this movie.

On a different note, I would have loved to be an actor in this movie… they got to eat so much great stuff on camera… :)

I’ve decided to come to a local coffee shop on Friday mornings and write about whatever I feel like writing about. Today I ended up spending longer than usual at the café because another customer chatted with me for about an hour. I think if I hadn’t been here, she would have chatted with the employees. Maybe someday I will open a café of some sort—I want to provide a safe place for people to come and talk, whether it’s my house or somewhere else. There are so many things I would like to try in Japan, but I’m fairly sure I won’t get to all of them. I’m praying for the ability to use my time and resources wisely for God’s glory.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds fun Celia, If I was there I'd have loved to join you sometime. I love bread, unfortunately I'm trying to cut back on carbs. Best wishes to you and Keith.

love Eric and family.

Unknown said...

Celia, that is so like you to be attracted to a movie because of the bread! :-D You are the most talented cook I know and your gift of hospitality has been strong as long as I've known you. When we are *able* to do so many things, it's hard to know what *one thing* God wants us to focus on doing. Perhaps there will be a season in your life (old age?) where you will open a cafe for God's glory.

Anonymous said...

I too thought it was a great film and I too was struck by the old couple. Margaret