Sunday, November 19, 2006

What to do with pumpkins

Once again, it's a cooking post! I do seem to do a lot of those, but I've also tried to show that I do some studying and cello/viol-playing too. In fact, Keith is practicing the piano while I type, and I went to play viol consort music with some people on Friday night! But in any case, this is pumpkin pie weekend, when we get to eat our jack o'lanterns, so I'll show you the process. It all started when my mom grew sugar pumpkins this year. She kindly gave me 5 or 6 of them for my baking needs.

Carving pumpkins with our neighbors...




Setting them out on display (Mine is on the left, and Keith's is on the right)...




Next step: baking our jack o'lanterns!


Final product: pumpkin pie that is way better than the stuff from the can!! (My pie crusts are improving, too!)


Other things to do with pumpkins: I made 2 batches of pumpkin bars, and our friend, Carla taught us to make Brazilian pumpkin and shrimp stew! We had a lovely feast complete with Brazilian coffee and Brigadiero! By the way, this is outside on our new patio, which we've enjoyed very much when it hasn't been raining and cold... so not for the last month...


Thanks, Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Celia, I'm glad I could share my pumpkins with you. You were very creative with them, carving them and all. (Was it hard to turn the little pumpkin people into pie?) I didn't carve mine, but I did have fun turning them into pie, bars and bread. Wait till you try my pumpkin bread - it's a yeast bread with just a little sweetness. I'll make it this weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to make two pumpkin pies.

Love, Mom